Thursday, January 8, 2015

Paleo Zuppa Toscana

I will make this over and over! Billie loved it too. I highly recommend using an Immersion blender for this recipe. If you don't have one, I highly recommend them. $30-$40 on average. It was one of my favorite wedding gifts! I also use it often to make Roasted Red Pepper Soup.



Adapted from: Paleo Cupboard

Ingredients:
3 medium white potatoes*
28 ounces of chicken broth
2 cups water
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tsp. minced garlic
Italian pork sausage, casings removed
3-4 kale leaves (stems removed)

1. Wash and chop white potatoes (I left the peel on!)
2. Add potatoes to large pot with all of the chicken broth and water.
3. Heat on high until boiling and potatoes pierce with a fork, about 15 mins.
4. Meanwhile, in a skillet, sautee the chopped onion with garlic in olive oil until translucent.  
5. Once potatoes are tender, add the onion/garlic mixture into the large pot.
6. Use an immersion blender to blend until the desired consistency. (I prefer thick and creamy soup, so I only left a few chunks of potato.)
7. Cook the Italian sausage, breaking into large chunks,  over med-high heat until fully cooked. (I used the same skillet as the onions/garlic)
8. Add sausage the soup (via spoon- don't pour because you don't want the extra grease in your soup)
9. Wash kale leaves and break apart. You can chop them if you'd like. Then add them to the soup. Stir over medium heat. Then serve!

*Some sources (such as Whole9life/Whole30) feel that white potatoes are paleo. Some don't. I figure they are from the ground, so we are good! :) You can get potato advice and nutrition breakdown from the experts here (from Mark Sisson) and here (a "no" from Dr. Cordain, the father of paleo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment