Friday, September 6, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Avocado Soup

Please make this. Please make this. Please make this.

Get the point?? :)

This soup tastes so gourmet. I made it for a sick friend last week then made it again for Billie and me this week. I'm planning to make it AGAIN this weekend when our family comes in town! My mother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece, and our friend Jared will all fly into Tucson tonight! I can't wait until they get here. This will be their first time in Arizona visiting us (and our first time meeting our new niece, Olivia Kate!) We have some really fun things planned for the weekend, including a trip to Tombstone and going to dinner to celebrate Billie and his sister's upcoming birthdays.

I adore my Mother-in-law, and we are really close. But I told her that something about her coming makes me feel the need to organize my drawers and clean the floors with a toothbrush. Can anyone else relate?? (I even took a second stab at potted plants out front! I'll keep you posted. Let's hope this goes better than last time.)

Back to the soup.... It's thick and creamy, roasted red pepper-y goodness. Does this picture make you drool?


And I loved these meatballs!



Get any flavor/brand you'd like- just check the ingredient list to make sure you can pronounce everything :) I've used the Open Nature Brand before as well- the roasted red pepper sausages. 

 Here is the recipe:
From: Paleomg <---- She can do no wrong.
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
  • 3-4 roasted red peppers, roughly chopped (I used jarred in water kind. but you could roast your own)
  • 1 avocado, pitted
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • ½ lime, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (i used half this and it was PLENTY spicy)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2-3 tablespoons fat of choice (I used olive oil)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • ½ avocado, diced (to garnish)
  • chopped cilantro (to garnish)
  • 4-5 cooked sausage of choice (Such as sundried tomato chicken sausage)
Instructions
  1. Place a saucepan over medium heat, add in your fat, garlic and onion. Cook up onions until they are translucent.
  2. Then add in your roasted red peppers with broth and coconut milk along with your smoked paprika, paprika, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt and pepper. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
  3. While soup is simmering, slice up your sausages and cook on a skillet on both sides.
  4. Once everything has simmered, scoop out your avocado and add to the saucepan along with your lime juice. Then use an immersion blender to mix until soup is smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, add it to your food processor, like I did. I did it in two batches so my kitchen wouldn’t become messier than it already is.
  5. Top soup with diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment