Monday, August 11, 2014

Paleo Tomato Basil Soup


Last week, Billie left for training for a month.  I'm so thankful it won't be longer, but this gets me every time. The tears man. Sheesh. 

Anywho, I'm looking at the silver linings. One of which is cooking all the things I love that Billie doesn't, like tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms. 

I started with some sauteed mushrooms and asparagus to go with my proscuitto egg cups. 



Then I combined a few different paleo recipes for tomato basil soup and came up with this one! It feeds 6-8, which I didn't take into account. Therefore I will be eating this for an entire week and also sharing with all of my work friends. They aren't complainin'. :)


Feeds 6-8 

Ingredients: 
1 onion, chopped 
3 tsp. minced garlic
1-2 T. olive oil or coconut oil 
2, 28 oz cans crushed or stewed tomatoes 
1 small can tomato paste 
4 cups chicken broth or stock
2 packs of fresh basil, about 1 cup 
1 can full-fat coconut milk 
salt and pepper  
* You could also add thyme or crushed red pepper (for a kick!)

1.  Saute the onion in your oil of choice until translucent.
2. Add garlic towards the end. 
3. Add broth, tomato paste, and crushed tomatoes. 
4. Let this simmer for 30 minutes. 
5. Add basil and coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Use blender, food processor, or immersion blender (my favorite) to fully blend. 
7. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment