Thursday, August 22, 2013

Crockpot Barbacoa

I have grown to love Chipotle, the restaurant. I normally get a salad "bowl" with the barabcoa meat. It's SO tasty. So I did some research and found a copycat recipe.

Billie said it was the best meat I have ever made!

We made salad bowls with romaine lettuce, salsa, salsa verde, and guacamole! I know, I know... I've posted lots of Mexican salads lately. But I just LOVE Mexican food! And it's so easy.

My man doesn't do onions, but some sauteed onions and bell pepper slices would have been a great addition!



Here is the recipe from food.com:

"Chipotle's Barbacoa Copycat Recipe"

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
4 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo (I used only 2, and it was plenty spicy!)
4 -5 lbs chuck roast

Directions:

1. To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth.
2. Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
3. Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.
4. Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.
5. Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
6. Cook on high heat 6 hours or on low all day.
7. While still in the Crockpot, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to warm.
8. Typical sides include tortillas, rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream. (If you are paleo, stick with guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa, and coconut sour cream!)

No comments:

Post a Comment