Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cauliflower "Fried Rice"- MAKE THIS!!

Oh man... I have been SO excited to share this recipe with you!!

This weekend, Billie and I went to our friends' anniversary party. It was a reception, which they didn't get a chance to have when they got married one year ago.


My friend's Mom is Thai and cooked Thai/Asian food all week long for the party on Saturday. Pad Thai noodles, homemade egg rolls, curry chicken, rice, you name it! But I stuck with fruit and some veggie sticks only since I am doing Whole30.



After that, I had Asian on my mind and decided to cook this recipe for cauliflwer "fried rice." It is way better than I even imagined!

When I checked out at the grocery store, I wondered why our bill was so high. Come to find out, I bought two heads of ORGANIC cauliflower, weighing in at $7 bucks a piece. Ouch, that hurt. I can feel my money-saving sister cringing right now. :) I really need to become more observant. haha

So I told Billie to savor every bite, since this was oragnic cauliflower and all.



This was our dinner conversation through huge bites:

me: Oh wow.
Billie: mmm hmmmm.
me: No, I realllly love this.
Billie: mmm hmmmm.
me: I think this is my favorite!
Billie: Oh top 5 for sure.
me: Yep, I love this.
Billie: I can really taste the organic-ness.

TA-DA!!!

Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice
Recipe from : NomNom Paleo
Serves 4-6 people:
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, separated in florets
  • 3 slices of uncured bacon, cut into small dice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1-inch knob of ginger, grated with a microplane
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro leaves
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped mint
  • 1-2 tablespoons of coconut aminos
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Splash of coconut vinegar (optional)
  • Splash of Red Boat Fish Sauce (not optional)
* I omitted the basil, mint, cilantro, and mushrooms. (I was broke after that cauliflower) ;) I topped the dish with green onions.
** You could even get crazy and put some chicken in this dish!

1. Pulse washed cauliflower in a food processor until the pieces are sizes of rice. Chop the remaining ingredients.
2. Toss the diced bacon into a skillet on medium heat and cook until crispy.
3. While bacon is cooking, whisk eggs in a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste. When bacon is done, remove it to a paper towel.
4. Pour whisked eggs into hot bacon grease and fry a thin egg omelet. (Slice it down the middle and flip it once if you need to!) Then remove it from the skillet and cut it into small pieces.
5. Grate one 1-inch knob of ginger (that has been peeled.)
6. Crank heat to med-high on skillet and add chopped onions and mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are brown or onions are translucent.
7. Add ginger, stir for 30 seconds. Then add cauliflower and more salt/pepper. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. You want the cauliflower to be softer, but not mushy.
8. At the end, add eggs, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and herbs.
9. Serve with bacon and herbs on top!!







No comments:

Post a Comment