Saturday, May 4, 2013

Smoothie... saved!

As you may know, I adore Nell Stephenson, aka Paleoista. It is a goal of mine to meet her one day.

When she was recently on Dr. Oz, she mentioned a smoothie recipe she often makes.

Nell's Ingredients:
8 oz chilled herbal tea
1/2 avocado
2 soft-boiled eggs
1 cup blueberries
1 cup spinach

I'm a little leery of protein powders for smoothies, because I don't know if the ingredients are good. I've heard mixed reviews of whey, egg white protein, vegetable protein, etc. Best to just stick with natural, real ingredients right?

Y'all, I made this smoothie and could barely drink it. I'm sorry Nell, I'm still crazy about you. Billie tasted it and confirmed... it was awful.

SO, I made my very own version of a Paleoista smoothie. ('cause there  are only so many omelets a girl can eat. Can I get an amen??) I made sure the macro-nutrient amounts are the same.

Katherine's Ingredients:
2 soft boiled eggs (just trust me on this... See my *tips below)
1/2 cup frozen berries (any kind... I used strawberries)
1/2 banana or 1 small banana (the more ripe, the sweeter your smoothie will be!)
1 cup ice
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk... not the lite (this is on the ethnic aisle of your local grocery store)
1 cup spinach
A little cold water- just to get the consistency you want

*soft boiled egg tip: boil your water and quickly lower the eggs into the water with a big spoon. Boil for about 8 mins on high. Then remove the eggs from the water with that big spoon and submerge them in a bowl of ICE water. Wait a few minutes then those shells will peel right off.


This is the coconut milk we use. There are other great brands as well. Whatever you can find!



And happy Saturday! I had a great first week of work and am looking forward to a great weekend. Billie and I are throwing a Cinco de Mayo party at our house tomorrow.... stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment