This red beans and rice recipe has a little bit of a kick. If you have kids who can't eat anything too spicy, omit the cayenne until you can taste-test! For us, this was PERFECT.
1 pound of dried red kidney beans, rinsed
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 ribs of celery, chopped
16 ounces Cajun smoked sausage, cut in half lengthwise then sliced
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 T minced garlic
1 T Cajun seasoning
6 cups water (to cover beans)
5-6 cups of UNCOOKED rice
1. Brown your sausage in a skillet.
2. Place all ingredients except rice into a crockpot.
3. Cook on high for 8 hours or low for 10 hours.
4. An hour before serving, partially mash the beans with a potato masher. This will give the red beans and rice the thicker, creamier texture.
5. Place on "warm" setting and cook your rice. Serve!