This was a perfect night-before-race meal! Such great flavor!
You can separate each item or throw it all in a bowl!
This recipe was adapted from www.cookieandkate.com
Quinoa and Kale
1/2 cup red quinoa (pre cooked)
1 bunch of kale, ribs removed, washed, and chopped well (I use a blender of food processor)
1/2 tsp salt
2 T. Olive oil
1 lime, juiced
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped small (3.5 cups)
2 T. Olive oil
3 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
2 avocados, diced
1-2 limes, juiced
1 handful chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
Salt, to taste
1 can black beans
Crumbled feta (optional)
Nutrition breakdown for 5 servings:
1. For kale-- transfer kale to large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and massage the kale. This will improve the flavor. Scrunch in your hands until kale is dark green and fragrant. Whisk olive oil and lime juice. Drizzle over kale. Toss. Cover and set aside.
2. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
3. Cook sweet potatoes: in a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Add spices. Once the pan is sizzling, add scant 1/4 cup of water. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Cook and stir occasionally until sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through. About 10 mins.
4. uncover the pan, raise heat back to medium and cook until excess moisture is gone and sweet potatoes are caramelizing at the edges, 3-7 mins. Add another bit of olive oil if potatoes are sticking. Set aside to cool.
5. Remove black beans from can and rinse well. Set aside.
6. Combine ingredients for guacamole and assemble your salad!