My mom mentioned this dish from a restaurant, and I had never heard of it! So I did some google research to make the perfect (big) batch.
6-7 cups veg broth
2 fennel bulbs, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 lb bag carrots, peeled and sliced into planks
1 can coconut milk
4 tsp ginger
2 tsp coriander
S &P to taste
Pine nuts, toasted in the oven
Pancetta or bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Peel and slice carrots. Toss with 1-2 T. melted coconut oil and roast on 400* for 20-25 mins.
2. Meanwhile, mix chopped onion and chopped fennel in a large pot with coconut oil. Cook on medium heat until transparent.
3. Add spices, veg broth, and coconut milk. (You may omit coconut milk and use addition veg broth, but your texture won't be quite as creamy.)
4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer 20 mins.
5. Blend with immersion blender.
6. Top with toasted pine nuts and/or bacon/pancetta.