I bought a butternut squash last week to make my frittata. There was only one size for sale... ginormous (see photo above.)
So I had plenty left over to do some experimenting in the kitchen! I combined a few recipes, used what I had, and made this delicious soup!
Butternut Squash Soup:
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 carrots, peeled and chopped (or a large handful of baby carrots)
2 T. EVOO or butter
2 cups cooked, cubed butternut squash (1 small squash or 1/2 large)----- SEE NOTE BELOW
1 can vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon*
1/2 tsp. cloves*
1/2 tsp. nutmeg*
*Or use 1 1/2 tsp. Allspice, if ya have it!
* I also read about adding a chopped apple in the mix, but I didn't have one!
1. Saute the onion, garlic, carrots, and olive oil or butter.
2. When veggies are soft and cooked, add broth and squash. Simmer.
3. Add coconut milk and spices.
4. Use immersion blender to blend well.
To Cook Butternut Squash:
1. Chop ends off. (No need to peel.)
2. Slice in half, from top to bottom. (If it's very thick, you may want to slice it into 3 parts lengthwise. The squash in the picture above, I sliced into 6 pieces.)
3. Place cut-side down in a 9 x13. Pour in a little water.
4. Cook on 350* for 60-90 minutes, until each piece pierces easily with a fork.
5. Remove from oven. Let cool then remove peeling and chop into cubes.