Everyday Paleo's Sundried Tomato Meatballs with Creamy Pesto
2 lbs ground beef (I also use ground chicken or turkey!)
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
½ cup minced sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
2 -3 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup walnut halves
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups fresh basil leaves
¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
½ cup coconut cream (Chill overnight one 13.5oz can of full fat coconut milk like Native Forest brand and the cream will solidify on the top, scoop this out to measure your 1/2 cup of coconut cream. Save what’s left for a soup or curry.)--- I omitted this last time!!!
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Mix all of the meatball ingredients together EXCEPT for the coconut oil and shape into golf ball size meatballs.
3. Heat a skillet over medium to medium high heat and add the tablespoon of coconut oil. Once the oil is melted and the skillet is hot, add the meatballs. Brown the meatballs on all sides in the hot pan.
4. If your skillet is oven safe, cover it and transfer to the oven and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes. If the skillet is NOT oven safe, move the meatballs to a large baking dish, cover and cook in the oven for an additional 7-10 minutes.
5. While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the pesto as instructed below.
6. To a food processor or blender add the walnuts, olive oil, garlic, and salt and process until smooth.
7. Add the remaining pesto ingredients and process again until smooth. I promise this pesto does not taste like coconut milk pesto – the coconut cream adds a delicious creaminess that this pesto is asking for; you won’t be disappointed….