My friend Louise and I wanted to make our guys some special treats for when they got home from the field. Louise made an amazing raw carrot cake. And I made these delicious date balls. We went halfsies on each. Best idea ever!
Date Energy Balls (Vegan, Paleo)
A quick and easy treat, perfect for snacking!
- 2 cups walnuts, or other nut/seed of choice
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (I'll do 1/2 tsp next time!!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the walnuts and coconut until crumbly. Add in the dates, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt and process again until a sticky, uniform batter is formed.
- Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons, then roll between your hands to form balls. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then place in the freezer to set for at least an hour before serving. Store the balls in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for an even longer shelf life. (I prefer them frozen, myself!)
- For a gourmet-looking truffle, you could also roll them in shredded coconut or cocoa powder before chilling!