This recipe is from the Everyday Paleo Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso.
We loved it... Can't wait til you try it. :)
|Aren't these babies photogenic??|
- 4 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb. grass fed ground beef (mine was not grass fed)
- 2 T. dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small zucchini or squash, finely diced
- 3 C diced fresh basil (I used only the few leaves I had!)
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced or 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 5-6 bell peppers
- 1 T. hot sauce (optional, or more to taste!)
1. Preheat oven to 250.
2. Fill a large soup pot with water and bring to boil.
3. While you are waiting for the water to boil, cover the bottom of another soup pot with olive oil and saute the onion, celery, and carrots on medium until onions are translucent. (I pulsed the onion, carrots, and celery in my food processor to get them finely chopped.)
4. Crumble in the sausage and beef and add all dry seasonings
5. Add zucchini, basil, and tomatoes. (Again, I pulsed these in the food processor to get them finely chopped!) Mix well, and let the meat and veggies cook over medium-low heart for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally
6. In the meantime, remove just the tops of the bell peppers and rinse well to remove seeds.
7. By now, your water should be boiling. Place bell peppers gently in water and submerge them for 5-6 minutes, or until the bell peppers are tender, but not falling apart.
8. Pull bell peppers out of the water with tongs and arrange on a large baking dish. Fill each bell pepper with meat mixture (don't be shy... stuff 'em good!) and bake for 20 mins.