Thursday, August 29, 2013

Paleo Czech Meatballs

OK... I feel like I may have said this before. But these are the BEST meatballs I have made. I know, I know... I tend to over-use happy adjectives. But I promise it is so appropriate! My second favorite meatballs right now are the Savory Bacon and Maple Meatballs I posted a while back. 

But I couldn't get over these paleo Czech meatballs. Being made with pork makes them so juicy, and the spices are different from anything I've tasted. When I told Billie the secret ingredient was Caraway seed (which I don't think I've EVER used before), he said, "MMM, I love caraway. Caraway's my favorite." haha

 It was recommended that they be served with sauerkraut, but I served them with cole slaw, which seemed like the next closest thing?? They'd also be great with cauliflower mash and anything green!


Here is the recipe
From: The Clothes Make the Girl
Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 tablespoon salt ( I would recommend way less!)
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 large egg
2 pounds ground pork
Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients together until well blended and form into meatballs. I made them fairly-large – about 9 per pound of meat.
2. On the grill: Heat grill to high, then cook meatballs five minutes with lid closed, flip, and cook an additional five minutes, until nicely browned. In the oven: Preheat oven to 400F and cook 20 minutes or so. On the stovetop: Brown in a hot saute pan, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low until cooked through. (I used the oven!!)

These are wicked good: tender, flavorful, and perfect for Fall. You can also try sauteed cabbage as a bed for the meatballs. Saute 1/2 onion in coconut oil ’til soft. Add 1/2 head sliced cabbage, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and a generous sprinkle of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Saute until everything is nicely wilted and starting to brown around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment