Sunday, May 19, 2013

Best meal ever

Happy Sunday!!!  I hope you have a great day and feel like you have a chance to connect with the Lord. Side note for those of you who have asked: We visited several churches here, and I think we've found the one we want to call home. Thunder Mountain Community Church. They just started a series called "Simple. Not easy" about marriage and family, which I'm super excited about. Last week, Mother's Day was focused on husbands and their roles. The preacher talked about serving one another. So this week, I told Billie he could serve me by watching "So you think you can dance" and "Downton Abbey" with me. ;)


On to the food...
I made this recipe earlier in the week. Hands down: one of our favorite meals yet. Whether you cook "Paleo" or not, you need to make this meal. ASAP. We both started eating the pork from the crock pot. It's the best tasting pork I have ever had!


From www.fitpaleomom.com
"Beyond Easy Pulled Pork with Mango Salsa"
Ingredients:
2 yellow onions, sliced
Pulled pork 4-5 lb pork butt roast (I talked to the butcher for a while and ended up buying a boneless shoulder roast... I think.) My Mom once told me to make the butcher my best friend. It was great advice. I get overwhelmed in the meat section. ha

Dry rub:
3 tbsps chili powder
1 tsp coriander
2 tsps cumin
2 tsps onion powder
1 tbsp dried parsley (I used Italian seasoning)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder (I couldn't find this, so we skipped it)
2 tsps sea salt

 Mix all dry rub ingredients together. Rub the entire roast with the dry rub. Place a layer of onions on the bottom of the crock pot. Place the roast on top. Put the rest of the sliced onions on top of the roast. NO LIQUID NECESSARY. Cook roast on high for 5-6 hours and then on low for another 3-4 hours or until the roast is literally falling apart.

 Mango and red pepper salsa:
 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup purple onion (Billie doesn't love onion, so I pulverized mine in the food processor)
1 jalapeño, finely chopped (I skipped this)
Cilantro- how ever much you like
2-3 tbsp lime juice Salt and pepper

Mix all together and use to top the shredded pork in a lettuce wrap.

1 comment:

  1. Yum...I will be trying this one...thanks for sharing and so glad things are going so great for you guys out there!!!

    ReplyDelete