Thursday, June 25, 2015

Chattanooga Day 3

First stop... Rock City. Which is actually in Lookout Mountain, GA. 

I loved the history of this place. The entire course is less than a mile. Giant rock formations and tons of species of plants. So peaceful and pretty. 


"Lovers Leap"




Next was lunch at Cafe 7 at the top of Lookout Mountain. Gorgeous view (they say of 7 states, but I don't buy it) ;) and my favorite food from the whole trip! Shrimp and grits with turnip greens. (Linz and I shared or else I would have fallen asleep halfway through the afternoon!) 


Next stop, Incline Railway. A 72.2 degree incline. Just a few minutes ride each way. 


Last stop, Ruby Falls


We took an elevator straight down 280 feet of limestone. Then we walked 1/2 mile underground to Ruby Falls, a 145 foot underground waterfall discovered in the 1800s. If you ever visit Ruby Falls, bring a jacket because it's 60 degrees in the cave year around! Oh, and make sure you are not claustrophobic. I thought I was gonna lose my cool! Thank goodness for my mom, who made me giggle all the way through. 



Quote from Leo Lambert, who discovered Ruby Falls: 

"Discovering Ruby Falls was like discovering God. At first it is very dark, scary and uncertain. You don't know what lies ahead. You bump into things you didn't even realize were there and you suffer injuries bumps and bruises. You fall down into sticky, sticky mud and mire and feel like you cannot go on. But you get up with a feeling that somewhere ahead lies something more wonderful than you could ever imagine. As you add light to what you discovered you find that the things that caused you suffering and injury were wonderful God made things, put there for you to witness and give you joy. It is all and more than you ever imagined you could witness. It is God, and Ruby Falls & the Lookout Mountain Cave are God's creations, made for man to enjoy. I am just a little proud that he used me."



No comments:

Post a Comment