Copied from Paleo Comfort Foods:
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (I used walnuts)
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup Paleo Mayonnaise (I added more) ----> recipe below
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.
- In a large bowl, mix together the broccoli, raisins, sunflower seeds and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and the reserved bacon drippings. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the broccoli and mix well.
- Dice the reserved bacon and fold it into the broccoli salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
Copied from The Clothes Make the Girl
2 tablespoons lemon juice @ room temp
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup olive oil (light, not extra virgin) @ room temp
1. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Let them come to room temperature together, about 30-60 minutes. Add the dry mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup of the oil. Whirl until well mixed – about 20 to 30 seconds.
THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!
2. The only remaining job is to incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil into the mixture. To do this, you must pour very slowly… the skinniest drizzle you can manage and still have movement in the oil. This takes about three minutes or so.
If you’re using a blender, you’ll hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. Eventually, the substance inside the blender will start to look like regular mayonnaise, only far more beautiful. Do not lose your nerve and consider dumping! Continue to drizzle.
If your ingredients were all at room temperature and you were patient, you will be rewarded!