Monday, June 17, 2013

Tropical salad and coconut dressing

I loved this salad and dressing. With the coconut and pineapple flavors, I felt like I should be sitting on the beach, tropical drink in hand (complete with the little umbrella). :) Perfect, sweet, and light for summer.

The dressing was made with my Devo coconut white balsamic vinegar. And what goes better with coconut than pineapple?? I think this balsamic vinegar would also be great on grilled chicken... Jamaican style! Maybe even skewers of chicken, bell pepper, pineapple, onion... mmmm.... I'll try that next time.

And I can't take all the credit. My Uncle Richard is the owner and chef at Cafe Vicino in Boise, Idaho. He gave me the idea for these salad ingredients... pineapple, red bell pepper, and jicama.

I played around with the dressing, got Billie to taste-test after each added ingredient, and viola!





Salad dressing:
1/4 C. LIGHT olive oil (do not use extra virgin- it's too strong)
2 T. Devo coconut balsamic vinegar
1 T. honey
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Salad:
mixed greens
red bell pepper, julienned
fresh pineapple, cut in chunks or slices
jicama, cut in slices


No comments:

Post a Comment